Saturday, April 30, 2016

Interview with Sr. Brigitte Mupenda Zawadi


Sister Brigitte Mupenda Zawadi

Sr. Brigitte is Congolese. She lives in Mali in the community of Kalabankura and at present she is the coordinator of a formation center for women.

Agnes Waweru: Recall a time when you felt most alive, most involved, spiritually touched, or most excited about your involvement. About memorable experience you have had with MSOLA.

Brigitte: It concerns my appointment to Chad, having done my apostolic experience in Mali and my first appointment as MSOLA in Mali, although I had to work in two different places, I felt at ease and the local language was the same everywhere. But once in Chad, I discovered another reality totally different from what I had experienced before.

The experience in Chad; through the apostolate, life in the community and in  their living environment, made me live moments where I felt both alive and participating, very spiritually touched and very enthusiastic by my engagement.

This was because, I tasted the reality of what our first sisters lived, at least that's how I felt; because no specific mission was entrusted to me and the majority of sisters from my community were working in our health center. Not knowing the local language, my first apostolate became that of going out to meet people, learn simple words in Ngambay (the local language), then I found plenty of kids who wanted to teach me the local language, so I invited them to come to the house; whenever they came, I helped them with extra-lessons of school courses and they helped me with the local language. We played different games among other things. Then the big girls started coming, with them and did some work in crochet and embroidery, after, the women themselves of the surrounding villages began to call on me for embroidery, crochet, sewing and knitting. I took the opportunity to chat with them on life education. The demand became greater and as I could not go everywhere, they chose four villages where they could meet for work. 

At the parish, I used to work with the altar boys and I collaborated with another sister to conduct  a short training for men and women catechists of the compound, I also worked with the youth of the parish for different activities.
In the community, I took care of the maintenance and stewardship (as community bursar) the other sisters who were working at the clinic used to leave early in the morning and came back a little later. This is my great experience.

Agnes: What made it an exciting experience is?

Brigitte: I was happy and made people with whom I worked and lived with happy, through ordinary life experiences. My initial anxiety was very fast turned into joy and full of confidence in myself and in others.

Agnes: Who was involved?

Brigitte: The Congregation which sent me there, God who called me into the Congregation of the MSOLA, myself, our sisters in community and the people to whom I was sent.

Agnes: Describe how you felt?

Brigitte: I went through several emotions, at the beginning when I received my appointment i.e. fear, worry and anger. After, it turned to abandonment, confidence, hope and joy.

Agnes: Describe what you did as a result of the experience?

Brigitte: Following this experience, I felt strong and confident to do studies in a field that was unknown to me. I made my final commitment in the Congregation of MSOLA, and I lived with sisters of a different Congregation.

Agnes: The things you value deeply about MSOLA? When you feel best about being a MSOLA, what about yourself do you value? The single most important thing that MSOLA has contributed to your life?

Brigitte: What I deeply appreciates of the MSOLA is the desire to care for the  well-being of each sister. Our spirituality which makes us responsible in our spiritual and apostolic life, dialogue and the developmental space given to each sister.

I feel best as MSOLA when I pray of course, but mainly when I live as a woman apostle reaching out to others and working for and with others without distinction.

About myself, I appreciate and value my sense of responsibility and the capacity to easily adapt to different people and environment.

The MSOLA have strengthened in me, the trust in God, in myself and in others

Agnes: The core value of MSOLA? What values give life to the Congregation? What is it that, if it did not exist, would make MSOLA totally different than it currently is?
Brigitte: In my view, the fundamental value of MSOLA is the fact of being a ‘woman - apostle’. Consecrated to be sent, the international and intercultural community life, open to the needs of the people to whom we are sent.

No comments:

Post a Comment